Move your body… Feel the beat… Dance like nobody’s watching…
JAZZ – Jazz dancing is an energetic and fun form of dance that showcases a dancer’s individual style and originality. Consisting of combinations of unique moves, it is a broad label that we put on dances seen in Broadway shows, concerts and dance companies. Jazz dancers learn to apply themselves to different choreographic styles and convey different characters within the dance.
FUNK – Funk is best described as the style of dance that you see in today’s music video clips and dance performance shows. It is danced mainly to R&B, Hip-Hop and Pop Music. Funk dancing is the perfect fusion of styles, incorporating jazz roots into a melting pot of hip hop, break, popping and locking, along with other fashionable dance genres.
HIP HOP – Hip Hop is a street style dance from the Bronx in New York City. It’s a free, funky and soulful expression of movement. There are very few rules of Hip Hop – it’s all about feelin’ the music and movin’ smooth in a street-smart way. Hip hop dance has heavily influenced the new genre of ‘commercial’ dance that you can see on most music-videos.
The teacher for all the classes is Matilda Slatter. Matilda has been learning dancing since she was 10 years old, training in Jazz, Cabaret, Ballet, Tap, Contemporary, Funk and Acrobatics.
She moved to Melbourne in 1998 to study full time dance at the Dance Factory where she gained a certificate 3 in Commercial Dance and Performance.
Through her dancing career she has learnt from well-known performers and choreographers (including Kelly from ‘So you think you can dance’!), and between traveling and working over seas she has continued to study other styles of dance including Belly Dancing, Salsa, Street Latin, Tango and Hip Hop.
Matilda’s knowledge of dance, physiology and bio-mechanics is a unique combination, having also established herself as a gym instructor, aerobics instructor, personal trainer, and Pilates instructor. She is also the School Holiday Program co-ordinator at Healthways and has a fabulous rapport with children. A very conscientious teacher, her classes are fun and challenging.
What happens in Class?:
All classes are a fusion of Jazz, Funk and Hip Hop within each session. The technical foundations of Jazz compliment the free movement of Funk and Hip Hop, so that dancers can gain an understanding of how to control their body’s movements and develop their own flair for dance.
- Pre School classes run for half an hour and include gentle stretching, body isolations, coordination and rhythm exercises, followed by short dance combinations.
- All other classes run for 1 hour and start with a warm up and stretches, body isolations, technique work, and some travelling combinations such as kicks, turns and jumps. Classes include learning a fun dance routine.
What to Wear:
All participants should wear comfortable and supportive clothes that are easy to move in (eg. Tracksuit pants, leggings, t-shirt, etc) and dance shoes or sneakers (which do not have ‘grippy’ soles).
- 3-5 year olds:
- Wednesdays 10.30-11.00am
- Thursdays 4.00-4.30pm
- 6-8 year olds:
- Tuesdays 4.00-5.00pm
- Thursdays 4.30-5.30pm
- 9-13 year olds:
- Tuesdays 5.00-6.00pm
- Thursdays 5.30-6.30pm
2019 Regular Class Term Dates:
- Term 1 2019:
- Sun 27/01/19 – Sat 06/04/19
- Bookings open Sunday 02/12/19. You can phone/visit anytime as of that date or add your name to the call back list now (bottom of the page).
- Term 2 2019:
- Tues 23/04/19 – Sat 29/06/19
- Bookings open Sunday 10/03/19. You can phone/visit anytime as of that date or add your name to the call back list now (bottom of the page).
- Term 3 2019:
- Sun 14/07/19 – Sat 21/09/19
- Bookings open Sunday 02/06/19. You can phone/visit anytime as of that date or add your name to the call back list now (bottom of the page).
- Term 4 2019:
- Sun 06/10/19 – Sat 21/12/19
- Bookings open Sunday 25/08/19. You can phone/visit anytime as of that date or add your name to the call back list now (bottom of the page).
Enrolment prices are calculated by multiplying the cost per class by the number of classes in the term. Where you start the term late, a pro rata amount is calculated. You can choose to pay by direct debit or pay upfront.
- Pay by Direct Debit –
- Spread out your payments by setting up a monthly direct debit (ie. 3 debits per term, 4 terms per year).
- An ‘Early Bird’ discount of $5.00 per student per term applies if you enrol before the 2nd direct debit payment of the term.
- There is a 40c transaction fee per family per debit.
- Automatically re-enrols you in the next term. Easy cancellation.
- CLICK HERE for Direct Debit Information Pack, including forms, FAQs and payment schedule.
- Payment Upfront –
- Pay upfront for the term.
- Payment can be made:
- Over the phone: With credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
- On-line: With credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
- Or In-person: With cash, cheque, EFTPOS, or credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
- Does not automatically re-enrol you in the next term. Re-enrol 3 weeks before the end of term to continue the following term.
- Class policies are the same regardless of your payment method –
- $70.00 per student per term is non-refundable.
- There is a 2 week cancellation period when cancelling mid-term.
- Where there is a public holiday, there is no lesson and you don’t pay for it.
|3-5 year old classes||$15.00/class x Average 10 classes per term|
|6-8 & 9-13 year old classes||$18.50/class x Average 10 classes per term|
|* Regular Term Class Discounts:
Come & Try:
COME AND TRY OUR DANCE LESSONS NOW!…
3 WEEK COME AND TRY PROGRAM FOR $70.00.
To see whether our dance school is right for you, we offer a 3 week come and try program for $70.00 to new students.
If you’re happy simply pay the balance in week 3 and stay on.
Phone 9895 2300 to enrol in classes today!
…OR if you would like to enrol in future terms or intensives, place your name on the call back list for those classes.
How does the call back list work?
- Approx. 4 weeks before the end of term, current students start notifying us what class times they would prefer for the following term;
- Approx. 3 weeks before the end of term, we start confirming current student’s class times for the following term;
- Approx. 1 week before the end of term, we open the following term’s classes to new and returning students. You can phone us any time after this date to enrol, however, we also offer a call back service so that we can call you in case you forget to call us.
To place your name on the call back list, simply fill out your details below: