No one knows the true origin of belly dancing, though it may be as old as woman herself. Ritual dances of high priestesses of many ancient civilizations were probably some form of belly dance. Primitive rock engravings of fertility dances date back as far as 15,000 B.C.
Belly dancing can help increase overall flexibility, body tone and strengthens your leg and core muscles. Your arms and hands get a workout too particularly when using a veil, cane and playing zils. It is a low impact activity which doesn’t place undue pressure on joints and can be very therapeutic.
Belly dancing emphasises muscular isolations, and you will be taught this skill. Our class is suitable for ages 16+ and for all body types. We welcome beginners and at this level the instructor will introduce you to the basic movements and then move you through the more challenging ones which our long standing participants enjoy.
Our classes are friendly and focus on technique, creative drills and steps. You will certainly get a good intensive workout!
Benefits of Dance…
Dancing gives you all the benefits of cardio vascular exercise, including:
- Promotes physical health;
- Promotes mental health benefits;
- Improves sense of well being;
- Improves self-esteem; and
- Improves general positiveness that comes with regular enjoyable and fun exercise.
… As well as:
- Strong bones – The side-to-side movements of many dance steps strengthen your weightÂ bearing bones (tibia, fibula and femur) and can help prevent or slow down the loss of bone mass (osteoporosis);
- Skill development – By regularly attending classes you’ll improve your rhythm, coordination and dancing ability;
- Improved mental alertness – You’ll keep your mind active as your brain works to remember routines and keep one step ahead;
- Muscle strength – Dancing helps maintain proper posture and body alignment, and increases balance and flexibility; and
- Stress release – Dancing is an outlet for creativity and freedom of movement and mind.
The exercise room
The dance room is spacious and has full length mirrors which will assist you to see the instructor while travelling through routines. It is fully air-conditioned and carpeted for your comfort.
What do I wear and bring to a Belly Dance class?
It is best to wear a skirt which is comfortable and ‘flows’ to accentuate the movements you are practicing, as well as a simple body fitting top so you can see in our studio mirrors how you are developing your core muscle movement. A hip scarf can also accentuate movement. The majority of participants go bare foot.
2018: Adult $24.00/class
10 Visit Card $220.00
Note: 10 visit cards have no expiry date, and may be used for any of our group exercise classes. CLICK HERE for group exercise class timetable.
Gym Membership $20.07-$25.31/week
Note: Belly dancing classes are included in gym memberships. CLICK HERE for more information on gym memberships.
To join the class, just turn up. No need to book. See you soon!
Note: We also offer: